India express regret in UNSC: India did not participate in voting on the motion of condemnation against Russia, but expressed regret, know
The 15-member Security Council resolution was supported by 11 countries, while India, China, and the UAE abstained. Russia blocked the resolution with its veto. In his statement on the Security Council resolution, India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, TS Tirumurti, said the following:
India and China did not vote on the motion of condemnation against Russia at the United Nations Security Council. It condemned Russia’s attack on Ukraine. In this document, Russia is asked to leave Ukraine unconditionally, immediately, and completely. Indian representatives did not vote on this resolution but issued a statement expressing regret for the violence in Ukraine and calling for its end.
This resolution of the Security Council was voted on at the UN Headquarters in New York on Friday, early Saturday morning Indian time. India, China, and the UAE abstained from voting, while Russia used its veto to thwart the resolution. Eleven countries supported the 15-member Security Council resolution. As India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations TS Tirumurti stated in his statement on the Security Council resolution:
Big things of India’s statement
- India believes that dialogue is the only way to reach a solution and resolve disputes.
- India is concerned about the devastation in Ukraine after the Russian attack on 24 February. India regrets that the path of diplomacy was abandoned too soon.
- Tirumurti said that India is deeply disturbed by the recent developments in Ukraine. We urge all parties to do everything possible to put an end to the violence and hostility.
- It is a matter of regret that the way to resolve the crisis through diplomacy was quickly abandoned. We must return to this.
- India said that all member countries should make efforts to end violence and enmity immediately.
In UN Security Council meeting on #Ukraine today, India abstained on the vote on draft resolution.
Our Explanation of Vote ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/w0yQf5h2wr
— PR/Amb T S Tirumurti (@ambtstirumurti) February 25, 2022
Human life cannot be sacrificed for a solution.
Expressing concern over the safety of the Indian community and students stranded in war-torn Ukraine, Tirumurti appealed to Russia and Ukraine to return to the diplomatic path.
China said – Ukraine should become the bridge between East and West
In addition, China distanced itself from voting on the resolution against Russia. China’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, said that the security of one country cannot come at the expense of the security of others. All the purposes and principles of the UN Charter should be observed, he said. Ukraine should act as a bridge between East and West.